Canton City Public Health (CCPH) announced that Stark County has its first “presumptive positive” test result for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in a patient at Mercy Medical Center. Mercy Medical Center has been actively preparing for patients with COVID-19, and we have been working closely with our local health departments, Stark County Emergency Management, Ohio Department of Health and CDC. We are following all recommendations in caring for the patient and protecting the safety of our hospital patients, health care workers and community. It is important to note that the patient was screened using the COVID-19 protocol.
To prevent the spread of disease, Canton City Public Health encourages everyone to be diligent and practice the following steps:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces–doorknobs, light switches, keyboard, etc.
Up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 is being shared as it becomes available on the following websites:
People with questions about COVID-19 can call the Ohio Department of Health COVID-19 Call Center, 7 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., at 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).Please click here for media inquiries