In December, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officially declared the flu an epidemic. This week, Akron Regional Hospital Association (ARHA) hospitals, including Mercy, are seeing an unusually high volume of patients due in part to influenza.
While area hospitals remain prepared & capable to treat all patients, we are asking you to help. Before going to the hospital, please consider the following:
- Most people with the flu have mild illness and do not need medical care or antiviral drugs.
- If you have the flu, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone (without the use of a fever-reducing medicine).
- If you are in a high-risk group (including young children, people 65 and older, pregnant women and people with certain medical conditions) and develop flu symptoms, contact your doctor.
- If you become very sick, the hospitals’ emergency departments are ready and able to treat you.
- Avoid visiting patients if you have flu symptoms.