Canton, Ohio: The Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) and the Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI) will be hosting “Welcome to Medicare: 2011” on Wednesday, April 27, beginning at 6 p.m. inside Mercy Hall at Mercy Medical Center. This program is for new and soon-to-be Medicare users who have questions and concerns about their new, different type of health insurance. Participants will also learn about important deadlines that exist for new benefits.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet OSHIIP staff and learn about Medicare benefits, supplemental insurance policies, Medicare Advantage plans and prescription drug coverage. Reservations are requested as seating is limited. For more information, or to RSVP, please call Mercy Healthcare Connection at 1-800-223-8662.
Mercy Medical Center has partnered with the Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI) to be your local Stark County OSHIIP site. A free service, OSHIIP is a part of the ODI and provides unbiased information and counseling to people covered by Medicare. In addition to the “Welcome to Medicare: 2011” event, OSHIIP will be in YOUR neighborhood for FREE consultation at the following dates and times.
• Friday, May 20 – Mercy Health Center of Carroll County, 125 Canton Rd., Carrollton
• Tuesday, June 21 – Mercy Health Center of Jackson, 7452 Fulton Dr. N.W., Massillon
• Tuesday, July 19 – Lake Community YMCA, 11928 King Church Ave., Uniontown
• Tuesday, August 16 – Louisville Public Library, 700 Lincoln Ave., Louisville
• Tuesday, September 13 – Mercy Health Center of North Canton, 6200 Whipple Ave., N.W., North Canton
• Tuesday, October 11 – Stark County District Library – Plain Community Branch, 1803 Schneider St., N.E., Canton
• Thursday, November 10 – Mercy Health Center of Tuscarawas County, 1031 West High Ave., New Philadelphia
• Monday, December 5 – Rodman Public Library, 215 E. Broadway St., Alliance
Walk-ins are welcome for these FREE “Medicare Check-Ups”. An OSHIIP representative and a Mercy Medical Center OSHIIP-trained volunteer will be available at these locations from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., except for the Louisville Public Library, which will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. They will answer questions regarding:
• Medicare Health Coverage for seniors and for people under age 65 with disabilities
• Medicare Health Plans, such as HMOs
• Medicare supplemental insurance
• Long-term care insurance
• Home health care coverage
• Retiree health plan coverage
• Savings programs (such as Medicaid, QMB and SLMD) for people with Medicare
• Extra help for prescription drug coverage
For more information, please call 330-489-1215. The Stark County OSHIIP site is located inside the Senior Friends office at Mercy Medical Center.
Mercy Medical Center, a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System, operates a 476-bed hospital serving Stark, Carroll, Wayne, Holmes and Tuscarawas Counties and parts of Southeastern Ohio. It has 620 members on its Medical Staff and employs 2,500 people. Mercy operates outpatient health centers in Carrollton, Jackson Township, Lake Township, Louisville, North Canton, Plain Township and Tuscarawas County. A Catholic hospital, Mercy Medical Center upholds the mission and philosophy of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and continues to be responsive to the needs of the community. For more information, see cantonmercy.org.
Please click here for media inquiries