Mercy Heart Center
When It Comes to Heart Care, Trust Is Earned
Mercy Heart Center commits the very finest medical resources to caring for its heart patients. Doctors and healthcare teams are leaders in cardiovascular treatment, distinguished not only by their skill, experience and knowledge, but by their excellent track record in helping patients return to active and productive lives.
Mercy has helped pioneer some of the nation’s most innovative heart procedures and was the first hospital in Northeast Ohio to perform Minimally Invasive Direct Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, a “closed-chest” procedure, which postpones or eliminates the need for open-heart surgery. Mercy Heart Center medical staff performed this area’s first hybrid revascularization, which combines the da Vinci© robotic single-vessel small thoracotomy (SVST) procedure with angioplasty.
Mercy Emergency Chest Pain Center (ECPC) became America’s first chest pain center to become fully accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers. The ECPC is home to a Cardiac Catheterization Lab within Mercy’s Emergency Department, where a Mercy cardiologist was the first in the world to perform an angioplasty inside an emergency department. Studies show that angioplasty, performed within 90 minutes of arrival to the emergency department, is the best way to save the life of a patient experiencing a heart attack. With the area’s only emergency department cath lab, Mercy has the capabilities to dramatically reduce the time between heart attack and lifesaving angioplasty.
Our Impressive List of Firsts
- Angioplasty in an emergency department
- Accredited Chest Pain Center
- Cardiac catheterization in a community hospital
- ER use of cardiopulmonary bypass to resuscitate victims of heart attack
- Transseptal valvuloplasty on a mitral valve with surgically implanted Carpentier ring
- Drug-eluting stent angioplasty
- Minimally invasive coronary bypass performed
- Biventricular Internal Cardiac Defibrillator Implant
- Accredited Heart Failure Institute
- Chest Pain Center certified for angioplasty 24/7
- Transseptal mitral valvuloplasty
- Intracoronary ultrasound
- Percutaneous aortic balloon valvuloplasty
- Unprotected left main coronary stent
- Radial stent coronary angioplasty
- Akron/Canton's first gamma brachytherapy
- Accredited Cardiac Rehab Program
Read about all of Mercy's
heart care milestones.
Mercy Heart Center on the Air Tony Joseph, M.D., President, The Healthcare Accreditation Colloquium was featured on the Ron Ponder Show - News-Talk 1480 WHBC (February 2012) - Click Here to Listen - See more at: