So, you’ve finally decided this is the time to lose some weight and get in shape, but where do you start?
If you pick up a magazine or do an online search, you will find many different diets and suggestions on how to lose weight. Some say, “Cut out fat.” Some tell you, “No carbohydrates.” Others only allow you to eat certain foods.
Of course, there are lots of variations in between, but all have a common thread: to lose weight, you must control the amount of calories you consume.
Pinpoint Your Personal Eating Habits
If you are a person who loves sweets, eliminating sugar and white flour works magnificently. If you love your bread and pasta, then cutting out carbohydrates will shrink your waistline. Avoiding fat will work superbly if you start your day with a fried donut, eat a greasy burger and shoestring fries for lunch, and then finish off the day with fried chicken and gravy. If you do most of your eating in the evening, then not eating after 6 pm is a great way to avoid the end-of-the-day calories.
The truth is the best diet is the one that works for you based on your eating habits and the type of foods you typically eat. It is as simple as that. Well, almost…
Take Common Diet Stumbling Blocks into Account
Once you pinpoint your own problematic eating tendencies, you need to take the following dieting issues into consideration.
- Eliminating an entire food group may also eliminate important nutrients.
- Weight loss without exercise promotes muscle loss.
- Failure to change habits makes losing weight a losing battle.
- Without regular maintenance, weight loss won’t be permanent.
- A smaller person requires fewer calories. Going back to old eating habits will lead to weight gain.
- Going it alone makes losing weight an uphill battle.
- Without regular weight checks, it’s tough to see progress and stay on track.
Take Action to Manage Dieting Pitfalls: 7 Key Steps
You can learn to leap over stumbling blocks, especially if you’re prepared in advance for the obstacles you will encouter. Here are seven key steps to overcoming common dieting pitfalls:
- Track everything you eat and drink. There are many great apps for your smart phone and on-line tools available to do that. Old fashioned pen and paper also work just fine.
- Start your day with breakfast that includes a high quality protein source. Eggs are cheap, quick to prepare and an excellent source of high quality protein.
- Plan ahead so you don’t skip meals. Protein bars and ready to drink liquid meals are helpful on days where you have limited time to eat.
- Use fruit and vegetables for snacks. Trading high calorie snacks for fruits and vegetable will cut calories and provide you with important nutrients.
- Exercise most days of the week to promote fat loss and maintain muscle.
- The most successful dieters do not go it alone. Having someone to support and encourage you helps keep you motivated to continue during those challenging times.,
- Weekly weight checks allow you to see your progress and keep you on track. Don’t stop stepping on the scale once you have reached your goal.
Do you need help pinpointing problems with your personal eating habits? Are you ready to make changes to your eating that will impact your health in a positive way? Let Mercy Weight Management help you. Call us at 330-588-4854 for more information or complete our simple online form.