School of Radiology
The School of Radiologic Technology at Mercy Medical Center provides an associate degreein applied science upon graduation with full accreditation by the JRCERT. Graduates are eligible to become Registered Technologists with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. Students are provided with both didactic and clinical instruction on campus. Approximately 3,400 hours are dedicated to mastery of clinical skills valuable in today’s competitive market.
Students will be required to rotate a total of 9 Saturday rotations beginning in their second year. They will receive 6 clinical experiences on afternoons and 3 clinical experiences on midnights. Students will be given a compensatory day off as to not exceed 40 hours a week.
Mercy Medical Center School of Radiology is now affiliated with the University of Akron.
Selection of students will be based on the applicants ability didactically, interest, preparation, attitude, and personal qualities indicating potential to successfully complete the mission and goals of the program. No discrimination shall be made against any qualified applicant based on their sex, race, color, creed, age, national origin, marital status, or the physically challenged.
Mercy Medical Center's School of Radiology is accredited by the Joint Review Committee of Education in Radiologic Technology. The address is:
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
Website: www. JRCERT.org
- The program will provide students with an educational atmosphere which promotes dignity and compassionate care for the whole person.
- The program will provide the community with competent , caring technologists to meet future demands of the profession.
- The program will foster an atmosphere which promotes life long learning and career development.
- The program will promote the high moral and ethical ideals set forth by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists.
Application pre-requisites - Pre-requisites for the program must be completed prior to the February 1st deadline.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- 2 letters of reference
- Completed application form with all materials returned prior to February 1st
- If the student is accepted, a physical examination, drug screen and background check will be performed and is required to complete the acceptance process.
- College transcripts must not be more than 5 years since last date of attendance.
- If transcripts are more than 5 years old, 2 college courses must be taken.
- A minimum of 4 hours shadowing is required in a hospital or medical center radiology department
- Overall GPA in college must be a minimum of 2.5
- Admission to the program is based on a point system
Pre-requisites available at Stark State College or any accredited college which is regionally accredited:
All pre-requisite courses must be at least a “C” average or must be repeated.
- Mathematics: College Math MTH 123 or higher
- Speech/Communications: COM 121 or higher
- English Composition: ENG 124 or higher
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology I
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- Psychology/Human Relations
A minimum of five of the seven pre-requisite courses are required for admission. Of the five courses, Anatomy Physiology I is required and the other four courses are at the discretion of the student. Student applicants will then be required to provide documentation of enrollment in the two remaining courses during the spring semester of admission year.
NOTE: BIO123 can be taken as a substitute for Anatomy I & II. If this option is chosen, it is possible you may have to take another 2 credit class. All prerequisite classes must be a minimum of 22 credits total.
Who Do I Contact?
School of Radiologic Technology
Mercy Medical Center
1320 Mercy Drive N.W.
NOTE: All descriptions, standards, and policies stated in this brochure are subject to change.
School of Radiologic Technology Program Expenses
Application fee .......................$40.00
Book fee estimate ...................$700.00
Seminars (OSRT) ....................$250.00
Uniforms & Shoes ....................$200.00
Total cost will be approx. ..............................$1,175
*Prices subject to change. Above price does not include tuition price.
University of Akron Affiliation/ Tuition rates
Mercy Medical Center School of Radiologic Technology is affiliated with The University of Akron and provides course curriculum for the university degree in Radiologic Technology. Tuition for our program is based on the prevailing University of Akron undergraduate instructional fee per semester and Mercy Medical Center School of Radiologic Technology has no control over those fees. Any refunds for tuition follow the University of Akron's refund policy.
Program Effectiveness Data
A student may appeal an unfavorable evaluation or Progressive Corrective Action through the following grievance procedures:
- The student shall contact the Program Director to file an official grievance. The formal grievance must be filed within ten (10) days from the said action. The grievance should state simply the reasons for disagreeing.
- The Program Director will notify the student within ten (10) days to schedule a meeting with the Advisory Committee.
- At the meeting of the Advisory Committee, the student will present his/her position and may call witnesses with direct knowledge of the incident in question. The student may be represented by another student at this meeting.
- If the student fails to be satisfied with the decision of the advisory committee, they may appeal to the Human Resources manager of the Medical Center. The Human Resources manager's decision is final. This appeal must be filed within ten (10) days of the advisory committees decision.
Thank you for your interest in the Mercy Medical Center School of Radiologic Technology. This is an exciting and rewarding profession. If you decide to apply, please contact me at your earliest convenience. I sincerely hope you find the health careers as rewarding as I have.
Thank you again for your interest. If you need further assistance, please call:
Gary Greathouse, R.T.
School of Radiologic Technology
Policy and procedures can be reviewed in the Radiology Program Director's office. The office phone number is 330-489-1273.
* This application should be completed and returned with your college transcripts and a $40 non-refundable application fee made payable to Mercy Medical Center. We also ask that you include two letters of recommendation.
* We will accept applications beginning Sept. 1st.