Shared Leadership Model
Mercy Medical Center nursing leadership established the vision of a shared leadership model with the belief that the best possible environment for the delivery of nursing care is within a structure in which accountability for patient care decisions and actions are vested in the professional nurse.
The shared leadership structure provides professional nurses with the opportunity to participate in decision making and policy formulation that affect their individual practice and the delivery of nursing care. Nurses participate in creating an environment of innovation, education and research, which promotes recruitment and retention of an expert nursing staff.
- The shared leadership model is supported through the activities of various councils, which act to problem solve and promote trust and collegiality. All registered nurses serve as members of their Unit Practice Council. The RN chair of each unit practice council is a member of the Nursing Congress.
This governance is vested in the registered nurses within the Division of Nursing who have, by virtue of accepting their position at Mercy, accepted the accountability and responsibility for professional nursing practice and patient care.
- Is the vehicle for developing autonomous professional staff that actively participates in addressing the challenges in healthcare today
- Is the structure and process by which professional organizations function.
- Emphasizes collegiality and a share professional accountability.
Nursing Practice Councils:
Professional Nursing at Mercy Medical Center is structured using a Nursing Council Model. Councils made up primarily of staff nurses representing nursing units and service lines are responsible for the determination of professional nursing practice across all inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Interpret, implement, and communicate professional nursing standards;
- Develop, review and revise nursing policies, guidelines and processes;
- Develop and implement strategies for improving outcomes; and monitor the impact of decisions on the practice of professional nursing and patient care.
NURSING SHARED LEADERSHIP STRUCTURE