Mercy Medical Center traces its beginnings to Mercy Hospital, which was opened in the former home of President William McKinley on September 24, 1908 by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. It was due to the generosity of Mrs. Rosa Klorer that the Sisters were called to Canton to establish Stark County's first and only Catholic hospital. Mrs. Rosa Klorer purchased the McKinley home at Market and 8th Street Northwest and deeded its use as a hospital -which would be open to everyone, rich and poor alike, regardless of religious faith or nationality.
The Sisters converted the McKinley home into an 18-bed hospital named Mercy in honor of Our Lady of Mercy. Mercy Hospital eventually expanded three times to meet the needs of a growing community. In 1950, W. Robert and Henry H. Timken gave the Sisters the H.H. Timken residence along with 30 acres of land. Timken Mercy Hospital opened in 1952 as a 68-bed satellite to Mercy Hospital. Building additions in 1953, 1957 and 1970 at Timken Mercy led to the closing of Old Mercy Hospital in 1970, with all services being consolidated at the Timken Mercy campus. Today, the Stark County District Library stands on the old Mercy Hospital site. Timken Mercy Hospital became Timken Mercy Medical Center in 1979 to reflect its expanded role in community healthcare beyond traditional hospital services.
Present Day Mercy
Today, Mercy Medical Center is owned by The Sisters of Charity Health System. Mercy has 476 beds, 620 members on its medical staff, and employs 2,500 people. Mercy continues to serve as Stark County's only Catholic hospital.