20 Holiday Gifts That Are Healthy and Affordable
The holidays are here, and you've probably started buying for family and friends already. Hopefully, you've left some room on your Christmas to-do list for healthy gift giving this year.
Healthy holiday gifts don't have to be large or expensive. In fact, simple gifts are usually the best and most often used.
To help you come up with affordable ideas, I've put together my list of favorite workout and lifestyle gifts. Use them as stocking stuffers, for the office gift exchange, or as a way to encourage someone (even yourself!) making strides toward better health.
Healthy Holiday Gift Guide for 2013
- Stress ball. The holidays can be stressful, so why not choose a stress ball to work arm muscles instead of turning to the candy jar to relieve stress?
- Jump rope. This is a great item to have around the house. When your kids go outside to run off steam, join them in a jump-rope contest to burn some calories.
- Fruit. Apples, oranges and grapefruit make very healthy presents. Fruit baskets are a great gift this time of year and are greatly appreciated!
- A new CD. Dance around the house when no one is looking to burn off those holiday calories.
- Exercise DVD. The winter months are a great time to use your exercise DVDs to do your daily exercise.
- Winter accessories. Give a new hat, scarf and gloves specifically to encourage brisk walks around the block. You can go with them and admire neighbors' holiday decorations.
- A pedometer. What a great way to get off the couch and get moving! Get the family or people at the office involved by having weekly step contest.
- Recipe cards. Why not share your healthy recipes with friends and family? Hand-made recipe cards with healthy recipes are a heart-felt gift.
- Cookbook. Look for light, low calorie and heart healthy recipe books.
- Water bottle. A new BPA-free water bottle in a fun color to take to work or to the gym means no excuse for not staying hydrated.
- Gift Certificate for a Massage. There’s no better way to relax and de-stress! Many salons offer discounts or specials around the holidays.
- Resistant Exercise Bands. This portable piece of equipment may be even more effective than a set of dumbbells because it improves strength and balance. Plus, you work in a full range of motion, so it targets muscles that you can miss with weights, and it can easily travel with you wherever you go.
- Spa Package Gift Certificate. Head to the spa to de-stress and energize. Acupuncture, deep-tissue massage and skin cleanses are great ways to pamper yourself and friends.
- Indoor Vegetable or Herb Garden Kit. Adding fresh herbs and vegetables to your meals is a great way to spike flavor without a lot of added fat.
- Virtual Game Systems. This gift that does require extra investment, but "games" like the Nike+ Kinect Training for Xbox, Wii or Play Station are a great way to workout. Some of the games offer dance routines or mini-games such as dodgeball, which players might find more fun than a traditional grueling workout.
- Yoga and Pilates Equipment. On days when it’s too cold to make it to the gym, you can still get a workout with yoga or pilates. Mats, DVDs and other equipment are ideal.
- Kettlebells, Handheld weights or Weight Wrist Bands. Weights provide many workout options and can be easily packed when traveling. Most come with workout routines to follow.
- Gym membership. Many facilities offer a trial membership for a month or more. Working out in a gym can be motivational and a great way to vary your routine to prevent boredom.
- Indoor grilling equipment. Using an indoor grill like the George Foreman is a quick and easy way to cook healthy meals all year long. Most come with easy, healthy recipe ideas, too.
- FitBit or other activity tracker. Tracks steps, distance, stairs climbed, calories burned and active minutes to keep you motivated and on track with your health and wellness goals.
Hope these simple hints will help you have a very happy, healthy holiday! Image credit
Need an extra boost to lose weight and regain your health? Canton Mercy Weight Management can help. Contact us for more information.