About Stark County
Canton, Ohio, located in Stark County, is home to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the National First Ladies' Historic Site and many other cultural and historic landmarks. The greater Stark County area also offers several school districts rated excellent by the Ohio Department of Education and exceptional colleges and universities, including the University of Mount Union, Malone University, Walsh University, Kent State University at Stark and Stark State College.
You will also find a well-developed park system in Stark County with:
- 13 parks and more than 80 miles of trails for walking and biking
- Over 30 miles of trails for horseback riding
- Access to many lakes, ponds and reservoirs
- A wide range of education programs on nature, wildlife, conservation and more
The residents of Stark County are also known for their love of sports. With 20 public golf courses, the Canton area is called Ohio's Golf Capital. Recreational, amateur and competitive sporting opportunities abound for children, teens and adults.
You'll also find easy access to restaurants, farmers' markets, shopping and entertainment venues in Stark County, along with numerous cultural and performing arts events – from orchestras and theatres to museums and art galleries. Stark County also borders a pastoral region recognized as the world's largest Amish community. The Amish are known for their simple life and exquisite craftsmanship.
Stark County is part of Northeast Ohio, an area known for its healthcare leadership, as well as its premier college and universities, such as Northeast Ohio Medical University, Case Western Reserve University, John Carroll University, Cleveland State University, the University of Akron, Kent State University and Youngstown State University.
In terms of recreation and entertainment, a short drive to the Akron or Cleveland area opens up many possibilities:
- Playhouse Square - the second largest theater district in the United States
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park with its scenic railroad
- Professional sporting events
- Worldclass museums and historic experiences